Friday, August 7, 2015

Chuck versus The Ex


Chuck may have feelings for Sarah but that doesn't mean he isn't haunted by unfinished business or closure to certain chapters in his life. Namely, the Jill chapter. When this episode begins Chuck is doing something that we have all done, we torture ourselves by listening to a certain song that we know will spark a certain memory, an awful memory. Why do we do this? Are we feeling down on ourselves or do we just sometimes miss the misery? It's hard to say why Chuck decides on this day to cue up the Jill Mix 03'. If I do my math right, that mix shouldn't even be on his iPhone unless he recently placed it on his phone so I believe he's in the midst of an inner crisis of wanting to know how the Jill chapter went all wrong. He already knows, based on the flashback at the beginning of the episode that Jill dumped him because she thought he was cheating and that's why he was kicked out of Stanford, but why run to the arms of his accuser Bryce like that? That must have really stung.


This is the episode where we get answers. Chuck runs into Jill played by Jordana Brewster while doing a Nerd Herd job at the Bio-Science Conference and flashes on her boss Guy Lafleur. Now Chuck must go out on a date with Jill and figure out what she knows. I love that Sarah and Casey go out of their way with the CIA to help make Chuck look good. He looks like a successful guy with a Ferrari no less, too bad Chuck can't drive it. There is some great pathos there when Chuck makes Jill feel bad for not believing in him back in college but Sarah quickly snaps him out of it and he turns back on the Chuck charm. There you go, Chucky Charms Cereal, that would sell real well.


I have several favorite moments in this episode, the first one is when Jeff and Lester totally destroy Chuck's game on his date with Jill. It's so embarrassing to witness. What a train wreck. I love that every time Chuck tries to fix things with Jill he screws it all up again. The moment when Chuck is listening in on Jill's conversation with Shari is one of those fantastic moments of comedy when Chuck realizes he's on a mic and they hear him on the line (does it make sense that there is a mic set up at all? No, but who cares, it's hilarious!). Watching him try to explain his way out of it is also a wonderful moment. There's no way out Chuck, you are busted! Zachary Levi is so good in those situations. It's funny when I re-watch an episode I am often pleasantly reminded of just how funny an episode of Chuck can be. Jeff choking on a Pen cap, Chuck kissing Casey because it's a plan so crazy it just might work and then Jill telling Chuck just how ridiculous that is.


The idea of Awesome teaching the hopeless employees of the Buy More CPR is funny stuff but Jeff, Lester and Morgan's idea to just steal the test from Awesome's bag is hilarious. I love Jeff thinking quick on his feet, trying to explain to Ellie that they think that Chuck has Rabies. I also love Morgan trying to explain that while he is a thief trying to steal the test, he is not a perv trying to steal Ellie's underpants. Thank goodness.


Now, how does Sarah feel about all of this? She encourages a reluctant Chuck to go out with Jill in the first place. It's her job to hear Chuck out and let him know things will be okay, and just like Ellie albeit later after the date, tell Chuck that perhaps he will get some closure on this Jill business. Closure that he desperately needs if he's still listening to Jill Song mixes after all. For now, we have to let Sarah's face tell us the story. She certainly doesn't look happy but she also seems happy for Chuck. I mean, I know it's silly trying to figure out how she feels based on her facial expressions but Yvonne Strahovski is so great at this that it makes sense.


Listen to the Podcast Episode: S2Ep6 Vs The Ex


This episode had some great songs, first we have Pumpin' for Jill by Iggy Pop, then we get a great song that we've seen in a million movies and tv shows, Papa loves Mambo by Perry Como. There's another song that plays for only a few moments but it's very effective - Chuck is telling Jill that she should have believed him when he said he didn't steal any tests while they were at Stanford - we hear the song, It Makes My Heart Break by Your Vegas. Then there's Time and Space by The Accidental at the very end of the episode and it's one of those songs that I was first introduced to by Chuck and I am forever grateful because it's a great song.


I have been calling Alan Sepinwall's Chuck write-ups, Recaps but they aren't really recaps, a recap is going over the entire episode, plot beat at a time. I realized I should have been calling them reviews, so here is Alan Sepinwall's review of The Ex and while I'm at it, here's Eric Goldman's review. Also let's check out what AV Club has been saying about Chuck.


The Ex is the beginning of The Jill arc and it's a great beginning. It's funny, while recording the show I realized that I was playing dumb as to what happens next and I wondered if that would annoy anyone. I think that it's necessary because of the way that I'm doing the show. I only want to talk about the episode that I am covering on that particular episode. I feel like jumping ahead will only confuse things, especially if someone is watching the series and listening to the podcast for the first time. So I hope that all of you Chuck veterans will bear with me. I will give the occasional wink at the audience though, like 'Gee, I wonder what's gonna happen next?'


Again, I say it every time but it's been a blast doing the Chuck Series Companion, visiting one episode at a time and taking the time to cover it in detail. It's a joy and I thank you for reading this and listening to the podcast. Well, what are you waiting for? Go watch some more Chuck and encourage friends and family to do the same.


Until then...

The Jastrom

No comments:

Post a Comment